Sunday, January 11, 2009

Read Anything Good Lately?

As my friends and family know, I am an avid reader. I read so much and get so into books that my wonderful husband threatens to burn all of my books! This could have something to do with the fact that I can stay up 'till 3 am reading when I have to go to work the next day. To you non-readers, this sounds crazy, to those who love to read, like me, know that it really "just happens", and you're usually not aware of the passage of time when you're into a story. Anyway, I went to see High School Musical 3 with some of my friends this weekend, and we had literary discussions. They're readers, like me, so it was a lot of fun! From this discussion comes the following list of books I have read, some recently, some not so recently, that I'd love to share.

All Time Favorites:

Gone With The Wind - movie is ok, book is WAY better!
Little Women
Pride and Predjudice
Braveheart
Harry Potter Series

I know these are all movies, too, but I read 3/4 of them before seeing the movie(s). The books are ALL better than the movies!

Recent Favorites:

The Twilight series. I know, to some of you they seem creepy, juvenile, etc. Don't hate 'till you've read them! If you have only seen the movie, please do not judge the book from it! I'm not the biggest fan of the movie. The movie left way too much out and did some things in the wrong order or in the wrong place, etc. These are some of the most well-written books I've ever read! Stephenie Meyer has a way of writing that pulls your emotions into those of the character and you just have to read more, right then! The leading man, Edward, is like a modern day Mr. Darcy w/ a twist!

Luxe - This is a great story set in the early 1900's that follows the life of a New York Debutant who struggles with following the expectations of her "class" instead of her own heart. Pretty easy read, and very descriptive. There are two subsequent novels to come out this month.

Meteor's Tale - This is the story of a dog's life with his family told through the eyes of the dog. Very sweet! I read it in one night.

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes - This story is about a young girl in need of love and acceptance makes choices that alters her entire life, and the lives of those she loves. This is a good read, but there is some language that I didn't really enjoy.

Falling Leaves: The True Story of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter - This book is a lot more serious than the others on my list. I am fascinated with Chinese culture, and this book follows the life of a girl who was deemed unlucky at birth and who was mistreated by her family. If you read it, get ready. It's gonna get tough at times.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - This is another novel set in China. This is the story of two girls who are brought together by the "matchmaker". One is poor with "perfect" feet (remember, they bound the feet of young girls to make them small?) the other is from a great family, but in need of something the poor girl can give her. Mom couldn't finish the book b/c she had dreams about the foot binding. It is pretty disturbing, but if you can get past it, it's good read! This book teaches a lot about the culture.

Mr. Darcy's Daughters - This is the story of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy's 5 daughters 20 years after the couple's marriage. Each daughter has their own very unique story line. It is a great book, even for those poor souls who have not had the pleasure of reading Pride and Prejudice. For us lucky ones who have read Pride and Prejudice, it is a fantastic sequel! I believe there are about 2 more in this series, but I haven't read them yet.

Reads for the future:

Marley and Me - Mom loaned me her copy of this book before the movie was even planned, and I've dragged my feet. I vow to read it before I see the movie!

Blue Bloods - My book friends assured me I would enjoy this series. It is another vampire series, so I'm gonna give it a shot!

Tess of the D'Urbervilles - I saw the first part of this on APT's Masterpiece Theater, and I'm intrigued! I have not watched the rest of this series, and I vow to read the book before I do!

So, there's my list of reads. I hope that if you haven't read some of these, that you will, and let me know what you think. If you already have read some of these, let me know what you think! If you have any suggestions of books you love, please, suggest away! Hope to hear from you all soon!


1 comments:

Melissa said...

I got Blue Blood and I will pass them on when I finish. Thanks for the list.